1. You must be at least 21 years af age.
  2. You must have a California Drivers License or State of California issued ID Card. Your license or ID card mut be current and valid, ie: it can not have any holes punched in it, it can not be a paper copy without a picture, it must not be suspended or expired.
  3. You must have a Handgun Safety Certificate (HSC) or one of the exemptions listed below:
    • A current and valid Concealed Carry Permit (CCW)
    • Photo Identification which identifies you as a full-time paid Peace Officer
    • Active Duty Military Photo Identification
    • Identification which identifies you as Retired Military (This is NOT the same as an honorable discharge)

You can obtain a Handgun Safety Certificate by passing the HSC Test. This test is available through any Licensed Firearms Dealer.

It costs $25.00 to take the test and/or obtain your HSC.

The HSC Test is a 30 question test comprised of true/false and multiple choice questions. You must answer at least 23 out of 30 questions correctly in order to pass the test and obtain the handgun safety certificate.

Yes, you may retake the test after 24 hours for no additional cost.

You must meet all “proof of residency” requirements for the State of California and the Federal Government.

There are two types of Proof of Residency which must be met. Federal Proof of Residency and State of California Proof of Residency.

It is important to note that the residency requirements are different for U.S. Resident Aliens than they are for U.S. Citizens.

If the address on your California Driver’s License or State of California Issued Identification Card is not your current residential address, you MUST provide a Government Issued Document showing your name and current residential address along with your Driver’s License or ID Card.

For most people, the easiest way to accomplish this is with a current and valid Vehicle Registration Card bearing your name and current residential address.

Some other items that may be acceptable are a current Property Tax Bill for your Primary Residence bearing your name and current residential address, a current Department of Motor Vehicles printout bearing your name and current residential address. If you have recently moved and put in a change of address with the United States Postal Service, you may use the written confirmation they mailed to you as long as it bears your name and current residential address.

If you do not have ANY of the above listed items and have been informed that you need a Federal Proof of Residency or Government Issued Document in order to complete your transaction, please contact a Valley Gun Sales Associate PRIOR TO coming into the store so that we may discuss other possible options with you. We regret that we CAN NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES release a firearm to you without you first meeting this requirement.